The Minister of Youth Development and National Service, the Honourable Foster Cummings led the Trinidad and Tobago delegation at the 2023 United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) Youth Forum at the United Nations Headquarters in New York on 25th-27th April 2023. The ECOSOC Youth Forum entitled “Accelerating the COVID 19 recovery and full implementation of the 2030 Agenda with and for youth” provided a platform for young leaders to engage in dialogue with United Nations Member States to share ideas for advancing the youth development agenda at national, regional and global levels.
A Ministerial Roundtable took place during the Forum on Wednesday 26th April, 2023 where the Honourable Minister Foster Cummings responded to the question of – “How the Minister of Youth Development and National Service, fosters sustainable cities and communities for youth in Trinidad and Tobago?”
In his presentation to the United Nations, Minister Cummings outlined the roles that the Youth Agricultural Shade House Project and the Youth Agricultural Homestead Programme play in creating agro-entrepreneurs and achieving youth empowerment in fostering sustainable cities and communities. Minister Cummings indicated that, “These interventions will equip our young people with the tools to drive and accelerate the process of achieving the targets set by the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Heads to reduce the regions food import bill by 25% by 2025.”
Additionally, Minister of Youth Development and National Service, the Honourable Foster Cummings held bilateral talks with the Edgar Abdón Colmán Mirand of the National Youth Secretariat, Republic of Paraguay on strategies to combat youth violence and crime. A commitment was given by both parties to continue talks aimed at knowledge transfer towards cooperation for youth development.
The Trinidad and Tobago delegation at the 2023 United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) Youth Forum comprised of:
• Secretary Zorisha A. Hackett-Secretary of Education, Research and Technology (THA);
• Secretary Terance Baynes – Secretary of Community Development, Youth Development and Sport (THA);
• Mr. Sean Ramrattan- Director, Youth Affairs Division, Ministry of Youth Development and National Service (MYDNS);
• Mrs. Gachelle Gilkes-Edwards- Programme Coordinator, Youth Agricultural Homestead Programme, MYDNS;
• Mr. Kobe Sandy- Member, UWI Student Guild;
• Ms. Terriann Baker-1st Vice President – International Relations- Trinidad Youth Council
• Mr. Dayreon Mitchell- Vice President Tobago Affairs- Vice President Tobago Affairs
To learn more about the 2023 United Nations ECOSOC Youth Forum persons can visit https://www.un.org/en.
The Ministry of Youth Development and National Service remains committed to partnering with key stakeholders to promote youth development opportunities to young citizens across Trinidad and Tobago.